By Antony Augoustakis,Ariana Traill
• The first entire selection of essays on Terence in English, by means of major students within the field
• Covers a number themes, together with either conventional and smooth issues of gender, race, and reception
• Features a wide-ranging yet interconnected sequence of essays that provide new views in analyzing Terence
• Includes an advent discussing the lifetime of Terence, its influence on next experiences of the poet, and the query of his ethnicity
Read or Download A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
An authoritative evaluation and valuable source for college kids and students of Roman heritage and Latin literature through the reign of Nero. the 1st booklet of its type to regard this period, which has received in acceptance in recent times Makes a lot vital learn on hand in English for the 1st time incorporates a stability of recent examine with confirmed serious traces deals an strange breadth and diversity of fabric, together with titanic remedies of politics, management, the imperial courtroom, artwork, archaeology, literature and reception reviews contains a mixture of confirmed students and groundbreaking new voices comprises designated maps and illustrations
A follow-up book to the guide of Medieval reports, this new reference paintings turns to another concentration: medieval tradition. Medieval examine has grown vastly extensive and breadth during the last a long time. relatively our figuring out of medieval tradition, of the elemental dwelling stipulations, and the explicit price approach normal at the moment has significantly extended, to some degree the place we're at risk of now not seeing the proverbial woodland for the timber.
A lot has been written concerning the contribution of historic Greece to fashionable discourses of homosexuality, yet Rome's major rôle has been principally missed. historic Rome and the development of contemporary gay Identities explores the contested historical past of responses to Roman antiquity, overlaying components comparable to literature, the visible arts, pop culture, scholarship, and pornography.
Homeric Epic and its Reception, comprising twelve chapter—some formerly released yet revised for this assortment, and others showing the following in print for the 1st time—offers literary interpretations of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Homeric Hymn to Aphrodite. whereas a few chapters heavily learn the diction, meter, kind, and thematic resonance of specific passages and episodes within the Iliad and the Odyssey, others followdiverse pathways into the translation of the epics, together with mythological allusion, intertextuality, the metrics of the Homeric hexameter, and the basic distinction among divinity and humanity.
- Egil, the Viking Poet: New Approaches to 'Egil's Saga' (Toronto Old Norse-Icelandic Series (TONIS))
- Crossroads in the Black Aegean: Oedipus, Antigone, and Dramas of the African Diaspora (Classical Presences)
- Text to Tradition: The Naisadhiyacarita and Literary Community in South Asia (South Asia Across the Disciplines)
- Chaucer's Pilgrims: An Historical Guide to the Pilgrims in The Canterbury Tales: An Historical Guide to the Pilgrims in "the Canterbury Tales"
Additional info for A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)