By Brian W. Shaffer
- Covers quite a lot of authors from Samuel Beckett to Salman Rushdie
- Provides readings of key novels, together with Graham Greene’s ‘Heart of the Matter’, Jean Rhys’s ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ and Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘The is still of the Day’
- Considers specific subgenres, corresponding to the feminist novel and the postcolonial novel
- Discusses overarching cultural, political and literary developments, corresponding to display variations and the literary prize phenomenon
- Gives readers a feeling of the richness and variety of the radical in this interval and of the energy with which it is still discussed
Read or Download A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Describes the prostitution shape Poland to Argentina from the Eighties to the Nineteen Thirties. The textual content follows the lifestyles and occupation of Raquel Liberman, a Polish Jewish prostitute and sufferer of the white slave trade.
Greater than two decades after its e-book in 1991, Leslie Marmon Silko’s enormous novel Almanac of the useless keeps to disconcert, stream, impress, and outrage readers. In a piece that's openly and infrequently uncomfortably political, Silko’s overflowing solid of characters comprises representatives from various cultures and groups who're united via universal studies of dispossession, disenfranchisement, exploitation, and poverty.
This publication bargains readings of 5 of the main attention-grabbing and unique voices to have emerged in Britain because the millennium as they take on the demanding situations of portraying the recent century. via shut readings of the paintings of Ali Smith, Andrew O'Hagan, Tom McCarthy, Sarah corridor and Jon McGregor, Daniel Lea opens a window onto the formal and thematic issues that characterise a literary panorama via either ordinary and strange predicaments.
Brief narrative texts are reliable for the language lecture room simply because they're brief and narrative. as a result this quantity treats the instructing capability of Shorties on a theoretical point (part A), a methodological point (part B) , and a pragmatic point (part C). half A highlights the subject from the views of alternative educational disciplines, for that reason from a TEFL in addition to from a linguistic and literary perspective.
- The Soldier's Orphan: A Tale: by Mrs Costello: Volume 9 (Chawton House Library Series: Women's Novels)
- New Formalist Criticism: Theory and Practice
- Travel Narratives in Translation, 1750-1830: Nationalism, Ideology, Gender (Routledge Research in Travel Writing)
- Understanding Storytelling Among African American Children: A Journey From Africa To America
- Fluchtpunkte widerständiger Ästhetik: Zur Entstehung von Peter Weiss' ästhetischer Theorie (spectrum Literaturwissenschaft / spectrum Literature) (German Edition)
Additional info for A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)