By Adam Kelly
Read or Download American Fiction in Transition: Observer-Hero Narrative, the 1990s, and Postmodernism PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Describes the prostitution shape Poland to Argentina from the Eighties to the Nineteen Thirties. The textual content follows the existence and profession of Raquel Liberman, a Polish Jewish prostitute and sufferer of the white slave trade.
Greater than 20 years after its ebook in 1991, Leslie Marmon Silko’s enormous novel Almanac of the useless keeps to disconcert, flow, galvanize, and outrage readers. In a piece that's openly and infrequently uncomfortably political, Silko’s overflowing forged of characters comprises representatives from various cultures and groups who're united by means of universal stories of dispossession, disenfranchisement, exploitation, and poverty.
This publication deals readings of 5 of the main attention-grabbing and unique voices to have emerged in Britain because the millennium as they take on the demanding situations of portraying the hot century. via shut readings of the paintings of Ali Smith, Andrew O'Hagan, Tom McCarthy, Sarah corridor and Jon McGregor, Daniel Lea opens a window onto the formal and thematic issues that characterise a literary panorama bothered through either regularly occurring and unusual predicaments.
Brief narrative texts are strong for the language school room simply because they're brief and narrative. for that reason this quantity treats the instructing capability of Shorties on a theoretical point (part A), a methodological point (part B) , and a pragmatic point (part C). half A highlights the subject from the views of other educational disciplines, for this reason from a TEFL in addition to from a linguistic and literary point of view.
- Cancelled Words: Rediscovering Thomas Hardy
- Voices of the Other: Children's Literature and the Postcolonial Context (Children's Literature and Culture)
- Vocational Philanthropy and British Women's Writing, 1790–1810: Wollstonecraft, More, Edgeworth, Wordsworth
- A Companion to the Literature and Culture of the American West (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
- Rethinking Character in Contemporary British Theatre: Aesthetics, Politics, Subjectivity (Contemporary Drama in English Studies)
- The Poetics of Transubstantiation: From Theology to Metaphor (Studies in European Cultural Transition)
Additional info for American Fiction in Transition: Observer-Hero Narrative, the 1990s, and Postmodernism